The Controller versus The Transformer
So the first look in the Karmic Astrology Patterns Series is Pluto in Capricorn (Controller Versus Transformer). Here I’ll look at what Pluto in Capricorn represents, and look at how it’s energies are playing out in the world, within families, for individuals and what it is asking us to do spiritually.
Pluto went into Capricorn in 2008, so it may seem like this edition is about six years too late. You could be forgiven for thinking just that. And yet, when I tell you that it will be in Capricorn until March 2023 the realisation dawns – no matter how dramatic Pluto’s effect will be here – his energies are generational. They take time to be understood, to express and for us to hear their call.
So what does Pluto in Capricorn mean? Let’s have an ‘in a nutshell’ look at both Pluto and Capricorn separately to give you an easier submersion into it.
Pluto in a nutshell
The outermost planet of the solar system, you’d be mistaken in thinking it had no influence. Pluto seems quite happy out there in the dark, secretly getting on with what he does. This power planet represents absolute power, will power, the ultimate in ‘don’t let go’ sticking power. Pluto goes where no other planet dares, into deep dark holes where it can challenge soul secrets and find your buried treasure. Pluto rules birth, death, re-birth and any major life transformation in between. He’s very happy to get his hands dirty and finds pain illuminating. Change through a Pluto transit often brings profound pain because it challenges your ‘no go’ areas and all that you’d prefer to keep secret. It is humbling, brings you to your knees and connects you to your core truth.
Pluto at its worst is when people sink to their lowest, blackmailing and lying. It rules the underworld, terrorism, nuclear threats and mafioso type cabals. It is terrifying in it’s demand for absolute power. It is death.
Pluto at its best brings about deep truth, rewarding life changes, rags to riches stories, a true hero’s journey. Pluto uncovers deceit and cleanses the grime and dirt from the underworld (and your personal underworld)
Other words describing Pluto energy – sexual, murder, kidnap, cruelty, transcendence, awakening, birth canal
Capricorn in a nutshell
The 10th sign in the Zodiac, Capricorn is the active, transforming earth sign that is concerned with resource, wealth, achievement and success. Capricorn energy seeks to climb ladders, empire build and have the most power. This ambitious energy is unafraid to have a long-term plan. Capricorn is practical and understands that with discipline, patience and perseverance anything can be achieved. At its worst it stops at nothing to execute its overall plan. This is the BIG DADDY of signs. Capricorn loves to be in charge and self sufficient. At its best, Capricorn can reach true wisdom and guide others to looking after themselves.
Other words describing Capricorn – serious, stoic, old father time, leadership, stern, conventional, competitive
Putting them together
Pluto in Capricorn looks at our relationship to order, organisation, leadership, achievement, wealth and conservatism through the lens of control and transformation. In many respects there’s a natural crossover between both Pluto energy and Capricorn energy. (The need for control). But there is a difference between the two.
Pluto digs deep and the expression of his energy can get very messy indeed. Likening it to the phoenix rising from the ashes is not a sweeping statement. Having had Pluto transition over my personal planets and my Ascendant, I can vouch for the fact that each new Pluto generated epoch in my life began after the crushing of the old life. Pluto energy doesn’t just control and transform – it can rip you apart, limb by limb before you can piece yourself back layer by layer. So the manifestation of Pluto’s energies can be very visible.
Capricorn is a private sign. They value their privacy and will calmly let you know how welcome your intrusions are (they’re not! In case you were wondering). Capricorns take their time to learn to trust you, so when they go through change, you can bet your life that they’ll do it as discreetly and as invisibly as possible. If they ‘re-launch’ themselves, it’ll be planned meticulously.
Pluto in Capricorn refers then to how we take control or are controlled in our lives. It looks at where our controls help and hinder us. Pluto in Capricorn has little respect for flakiness. It’s energy is about ‘being your word’. It is also keen to dominate and direct. So whilst Pluto transits through Capricorn we can expect to see a generational shift where we lose the inflated optimism and need to be looked after. We need to learn to communicate thoroughly, truthfully and respectfully. It’s a time of growing up, where we’ll each be challenged to become our own authority. Where we decline to take ownership of how we run our lives, we’ll be controlled, owned and in some way imprisoned. This is the dilemma; Pluto’s energy can express as totalitarian control, or it can be expressed as transformation in your world, family and life.
Allowing the divine unfolding…
The question I would pose to you all now is, are you ready? If not now, have a think about when you might be. You have got until 2023 for this energy to filter through your life and control, transform and uplift – though I would add these three caveats……
- Generational learning and development affects everyone eventually. Even when you don’t engage in the act of conscious self development, if everyone around you does, you will by association be transformed. When you know change is occurring, it is often more stressful to maintain the original status quo. Consider the meaning of Pluto in Capricorn, how it might affect/influence you and then allow your unconscious to bring new opportunities to you
- Pluto loves a fight, so will relish your resistance to rising up to claim your authority. He doesn’t care how you acknowledge his influence during this time. He just knows it’ll happen. Therefore this time can be as hard or as easy as you make it.
- The planetary line up at the moment is primed to turn the world upside down in what it knows to be true. Change is afoot. Where you are resistant to new information, new ways of living and being, this is likely to manifest in super quick time. We have a hard square aspect between Pluto in Capricorn and Uranus in Aries – there’s no softly softly with this. Jupiter, Mars and the Moon will all play their parts over the next couple of months to set this energy on fire. We are in a virtual birth canal. Information that affects how we look after ourselves, information that has been suppressed, information that reveals who we are is just around the corner. This is a time of self realisation.
To give you a clearer idea of what I think is going on, I have looked at this time through the lenses of world society, family dynamics and individual evolution. Click on the links below to learn more about what Pluto in Capricorn is asking of us.
Stay tuned for more Karmic Astrology Patterns, where I’ll also be investigating :-
- Neptune and Chiron in Pisces (The collective dumbing down, the emerging love, and some unlikely world mentors)
- Uranus in Aries (The uprising, the youth and the breaking apart)
- Saturn in Scorpio (The secret police and the whistle-blowers)
- Other Planetary Alignments of 2014 and the move from water to fire!
I’d love to know what you’ve already been challenged by and what you’re learning. To talk further about this, feel free to connect with me on Google+
In deep gratitude,